Friday, July 26, 2019

Reading Assignment 3

1) You read about an entrepreneur: Coco Chanel
  • What surprised you the most? Coco Chanel went through a lot more tragedy that I had originally expected. Her mother died when she was quite young. Additionally, as a child her family did not have very much money. I had assumed she'd come from a more wealthy background. 
  • What about the entrepreneur did you most admire? Coco Chanel was extremely resilient and well adjusted. I think this quality is extremely admirable and super useful as an entrepreneur and honestly a general person. 
  • What about the entrepreneur did you least admire? I genuinely cannot think of anything I don't admire about Chanel. She really built her business from the ground up and stayed strong in times of distress. 
  • Did the entrepreneur encounter adversity and failure? If so, what did they do about it? Absolutely. She struggled from an early age, losing her mother and living in poverty. She learned to make the best of her situation and found success through hard work.
2) What competencies did you notice that the entrepreneur exhibited? I would consider Chanel to be resilient and tenacious
3) Identify at least one part of the reading that was confusing to you. Chanel's controversy during the Second World War was a bit confusing. 
4) If you were able to ask two questions to the entrepreneur, what would you ask? Why? I would ask her where she found inspiration and what her main purpose was because I know these things are what drive progress. 
5) For fun: what do you think the entrepreneur's opinion was of hard work? Do you share that opinion? I absolutely think that hard work was crucial to Chanel's mindset as an entrepreneur and this is an opinion that I share

3 comments:

  1. Hey Megan,
    It is always interesting to read when a successful entrepreneur comes from an unfortunate background. As a great person once said, there is beauty in the struggle and ugliness in the success. This applies directly to Coco Chanel's life and is the reason why she was able to overcome her past and build a future for herself. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Megan! I also read Coco Chanel. I think it's my favorite book I've read this semester! I found plenty of less than admirable qualities about Chanel, but most of them were ways to cope with her poor upbringing and fear of abandonment. Her dreadful childhood also surprised me and made me appreciate her monumental success that much more. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greetings! After reading your post and a couple other posts I think its incredible that so many great business leaders come from poor or broken homes. I disnt know about the contriversises during WW2. I would love to get more information on that! Purpose and direction are excellent motivators of innovation and design. Many people move through life without direction and I believe it creates wasted energy.

    ReplyDelete